Even a low speed car accident can cause hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in damage. There is nothing to say that your insurance company – or the insurance provider of the negligent driver – will guaranteed pick up the fees and pay for everything. Sometimes, it looks like the costs are going to fall onto you. That is, if you don't know what to do to get compensation after a car accident.
What Can I Get Compensation For?
Financial compensation after a dangerous traffic collision can be rewarded for so many different reasons, it is important to consult with a car accident attorney to make certain you are not overlooking anything. While you might obviously want to receive monies for physical damage to yourself and your automobile, there are a couple other items victims tend to forget. See if you can also request compensation for:
- Recurring medical treatments
- Wages you cannot earn due to your injury
- Emotional trauma
You might even be able to negotiate punitive damages. These are rewarded to victims as a way to punish the offender in civil court, rather than a criminal trial.
And How Do I Go About Getting It?
- Team up: The first thing you should do is speak to a personal injury lawyer who has a history in handling car accident cases. Taking your case through civil litigation could be a complete waste of time if you don't understand the ins and outs of the law and the courtroom. Better to back yourself up with someone who has dedicated their lives to managing scenarios just like yours.
- Present the facts: You should also start collecting evidence anywhere you can get it. Did you take pictures of the accident when it happened? Did anyone provide you with an eyewitness testimony? Did you save copies of your medical records? All of these are commonplace and may put a lot of power behind your statements.
- Don't admit liability: The moment you say that you were responsible – even partially so – for the car accident is the moment your chance of receiving full compensation goes out the window. If someone asks you who caused the collision and you aren't sure what to say, let your attorney do the talking for you.
If you stick to these steps and remember what you can be compensated for, your chances of retrieving a fair and maximized settlement should increase. But so much of what you need to do hinges on finding a reliable Cape Cod car accident lawyer, so where should you turn?
I, Attorney Scott B. Brilliant, believe in the importance of upholding and protecting the rights of the wrongfully injured. When my clients turn to me for support, they know that they will benefit from my 10+ years of experience and long history of successful case results. If you want that same level of commitment and professionalism working on your case, contact me and my firm at 888.605.5847 today.